Friday, July 6

'Juvenile' diabetes at 49: 'You deal with it'


ATLANTA, Georgia (CNN) -- A year before turning 50, Michele Thomas learned she had type 1 diabetes, a condition that used to be associated mainly with children.

"You deal with it," says Thomas, a stay-at-home mother from Atlanta, Georgia. "It was something I was going to have to live with. I was a mother of two young boys....I needed to stay healthy for them."

Eleven years later, Thomas stays focused on her health. "I take better care of myself than most people," she says, "I walk two miles a day and I eat a really good diet." (Watch why it's important for diabetics to manage their disease. )

Thomas is among the estimated 1 to 2 million Americans with type 1 diabetes. Ten times that number suffer from the more common form of the condition called type 2, which is linked to being overweight and lack of exercise.
...more

No comments: